Jirafa

Weblog of Geocaching, GIS, Travels and other things.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Of benchmarks and caches.

Yesterday was such an amzing doy weather wise that I was scrambling getting out of work as to where to go. I knew I had to pick Taryn up at 7:30 but wanted to get something in before that. I thought I would try my hand at finding a benchmark.

I ran a quick search around Plainsboro just to see what was new in the area and to my surprise the Cranbury cache #2 appeared to be active again! I jumped in the car and headed out for this historic town. I hadn't thought of it though that I was hitting rush hoour and the amount of cars going through the town was almost more than the town could handle. I was not deterred though.

I arrived at the dam where the micro cache was located and noticed the worn green string hanging out from the pipe. I know I wasn't very descrete about it but grabed it as about 5 cars went driving past. Signed the log then replaced it without being to noticable. I hope so atleast. I returned to Plainsboro with the renewed intent of finding a bench mark. The first spot I Parked in was in a cul-de-sac of a new housing development (they are hard to avoid these days in New Jersey). I lady opened her front door and yelled at me that I was on private property. I was standing in the street and was going to walk over to the main street. Not wanting to correct her in front of her young child, I got back in the car and moved closer to the benchmark.

It was just as well though. I was on the wrong side of a major road. Parking in the Catholic church parking lot, I quickly found the survey disk in the ground. No real excitement in seeing it but it makes my geocaching profile look and bit diverse. It was also a good hunt for not wanting to leave the neighborhood.

I checked on my cache, the geese are loose, behind my place and all is in order there. I spent about 15 minutes cleaning trash up around the cache area. Can't believe in a city park there is so much junk laying around. ¡Que va!

If you want to visit my cache page go here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e3d2a189-d736-46b8-8fe1-3a4f084a6062

Tomarrow, I will find etra biker. The elusive cache!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home